Node4-Giordana claimed both the individual and team wins at the eighth round of the 2012 Halfords Tour Series thanks to Marcin Bialoblocki’s victory and two further riders in the top ten.
Mike Northey (sixth) and Matt Cronshaw (ninth) ensured that Malcolm Elliot’s orange warriors took their first win in this year’s competition and moved to within three points of second place overall.
>> Subscribe to Cycling Weekly this Autumn and save 35%. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Bialoblocki was part of a three-man lead group going into the final corner and benefitted from a late crash which took out his break companions Chris Opie (Team UK Youth) and Scott Thwaites (Endura Racing).
Thwaites was left looking understandably frustrated with Opie, who misjudged his line and cut up the Endura rider on the exit of the left hand bend, leaving Bialoblocki to cross the line alone as the chasing pack steamed in a few seconds behind.
“Yeah it’s great for me after last year it was a nightmare. Now it is paid back and I feel much better. I am really happy,” said Bialoblocki, whose best place in a Tour Series to date was a narrow second place in Oldham last year.
“It is very good to win. I’m in the South West which is my home region, so I have lots of friends around.”
Endura Racing still lead the overall competition with three rounds remaining, however the race for second is hotting up with just three points separating the four teams of Rapha-Condor-Sharp, Raleigh-GAC, Team UK Youth and Node4 Giordana.
Twitter user Simon White captured the crash on the final bend which cleared the way for Bialoblocki
Team result, Halfords Tour Series 2012, round eight: Torquay
1. Node4-Giordana 10pts
2. Raleigh-GAC 9pts
3. Endura Racing 8pts
4. Rapha Condor Sharp 7pts
5. Team UK Youth 6pts
6. Metaltek-Scott 5pts
7. Team IG Sigma Sport 4pts
8. Cycle Premier-Kovert 3pts
9. Herbalife LeisureLakesBikes 2pts
10. Team Hope Factory Racing 1pt
1. Marcin Bialoblocki (Node4-Giordana)
2. Zak Dempster (Endura Racing)
3. Graham Briggs (Raleigh-GAC)
4. Marcel Six (Metaltek-Scott)
5. Yanto Barker (Team UK Youth)
6. Mike Northey (Node4-Giordana)
7. Johnny McEvoy (Endura Racing)
8. Tobyn Horton (Raleigh-GAC)
9. Matt Cronshaw (Node4-Giordana)
10. Will Bjergfelt (Cycle Premier-Kovert)
Overall team standings after round eight
1. Endura Racing 74pts
2. Rapha Condor Sharp 62pts
3. Raleigh-GAC 60pts
4. Team UK Youth 59pts
5. Node4-Giordana 59pts
6. Cycle Premier-Kovert 37pts
7. Team IG Sigma Sport 32pts
8. Metaltek-Scott 23pts
9. Herbalife LeisureLakesBikes 18pts
10. Team Hope Factory Racing 15pts
Boardman Bikes Sprints winner
Bernard Sulzberger (Raleigh-GAC)
Boardman Bikes Sprints standings after round eight
1. Bernard Sulzberger (Raleigh-GAC) 75pts
2. Marcel Six (Metaltek-Scott) 55pts
3. Kristian House (Rapha Condor Sharp) 32pts