More success for Australia as Campbell Flakemore takes under-23 world time trial title; Britain's Jon Dibben in sixth
Irish talent Ryan Mullen missed out on the under-23 men’s time trial world title on Monday by the narrowest of margins – less than half a second.
Mullen set the fastest times on the two intermediate time checkpoints, but lost ground to eventual winner Campbell Flakemore (Australia) in the final, hilly section before the line in Ponferrada, Spain.
Stefan Keung (Switzerland) placed third, just over nine seconds adrift of Flakemore.
Great Britain’s Jon Dibben put in a strong ride to finish sixth overall, with team-mate Scott Davies in 21st spot.
Flakemore’s title adds to Australia’s win in the junior women’s time trial with Macey Stewart in the morning session.
Rain affected the day’s racing, with heavy showers providing tricky going around the race’s corners.
UCI 2014 Road World Championships, under-23 men time trial
1. Campbell Flakemore (Aus) in 43-49.94
2. Ryan Mullen (Irl) at 0.48 sec
3. Stefan Kueng (Swi) at 9.22 secs
4. Rafael Ferreira Reis (Por) at 19.32 secs
5. Maximilian Schachmann (Ger) at 37.84 secs
6. Jonathan Dibben (GBr) at 38.28 secs
7. Andreas Vangstad (Nor) at 44.88 secs
8. Louis Meintjes (RSA) at 48.36 secs
9. Frederik Frison (Bel) at 1-07.22
10. James Oram (NZl) at 1-09.57
24. Scott Davies (GBr) at 2-01.65