Scott Thwaites made it two out of two for Endura Racing in the Tour DoonHame this evening, as he blasted to victory in stage two's 16.5-mile crit around Girvan.
2011 Lincoln GP winner Thwaites had earlier showed his speed in the Hot Spot Sprints primes - notably also sponsored by Endura - and had the edge in the finale over Chris Opie (UK Youth) and Dan Holloway (Raleigh), who completed the podium.
Despite the inclement weather which only improved after the race finished, the peloton largely stayed intact throughout. Wouter Sybrandy (IG-Sigma Sport) launched the only notable attack of the race, but never looked like staying clear.
Defending the yellow jersey of stage one leader Erick Rowsell, Endura marshalled the peloton throughout, and a brilliant lead-out from Ian Wilkinson gave Thwaites the perfect springboard from which he sprinted to the win.
Rowsell still leads the overall, although he loses the Endura Hot Spot Sprints jersey to Thwaites, with a third Endura rider - Alex Wetterhall - topping the J&B Print Ltd King of the Mountains classification.
Tour DoonHame 2012 stage two: Girvan criterium, 16.5 miles
1. Scott Thwaites (Endura Racing) in 39-40
2. Chris Opie (UK Youth)
3. Daniel Holloway (Raleigh-GAC)
4. Jonny McEvoy (Endura Racing)
5. Erick Rowsell (Endura Racing)
6. Dean Downing (Rapha-Condor-Sharp)
7. Bernie Sulzberger (Raleigh-GAC)
8. Matt Cronshaw (Node4-Giordana)
9. Tom Barras (Metaltek-Scott)
10. Richard Lang (Rapha-Condor-Sharp) all at st.
General classification after stage two
1. Erick Rowsell (Endura Racing) in 3-47-40
2. Mike Northey (Node4-Giordana) at 11 sec
3. Richard Handley (Rapha-Condor-Sharp) at 12 sec
4. Scott Thwaites (Endura Racing) at 14 sec
5. Chris Opie (UK Youth) at 21 sec
6. Bernie Sulzberger (Raleigh-GAC) at 27 sec
7. Jonny McEvoy (Endura Racing) at 29 sec
8. Matt Cronshaw (Node4-Giordana)
9. Ben Grenda (Rapha-Condor-Sharp)
10. Marcin Bialoblocki (Node4-Giordana) all at st.
Endura Hot Spot Sprints classification after stage two
1. Scott Thwaites (Endura Racing)
J&B Print Ltd King of the Mountains classification after stage two
1. Alex Wetterhall (Endura Racing)
Tour DoonHame 2012 stage two photo gallery
Rowsell takes DoonHame opener
Premier Calendar 2012: Cycling Weekly's coverage index
Tour DoonHame 2012: The Big Preview
Super Team Challenge: Standings
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Nick Bull is an NCTJ qualified journalist who has written for a range of titles, as well as being a freelance writer at Beat Media Group, which provides reports for the PA Media wire which is circulated to the likes of the BBC and Eurosport. His work at Cycling Weekly predominantly dealt with professional cycling, and he now holds a role as PR & Digital Manager at SweetSpot Group, which organises the Tour of Britain.
Selle Italia's Greentech technology focuses on a sustainable and 100% recyclable future
In a bid to create a waste-free system and safeguard the environment, Selle Italia has rolled out its Greentech philosophy to the Model X saddle range
By Cycling Weekly • Published
Slow down for Essex: safety car to impose 22mph speed limit on RideLondon
Riders not allowed to pass front car during event
By Adam Becket • Published