Alberto Contador (Tinkoff) says he “most probably” will continue riding into 2017, apparently going back on his decision to retire at the end of this season.
However, following his strong start to the 2016 season, it appears that the Spaniard has changed his mind.
After winning the Tour of the Basque Country on Saturday, Contador said, “Recently, I have been pondering and thinking about my future with my entourage and most probably I will continue riding. I’m sure this isn’t the last time I come here.”
Contador has finished on the podium at all of his races so far in 2016, with his Basque Country win preceded by second places at the Tour of Catalunya and Paris-Nice, and third at the Tour of the Algarve.
Watch Cycling Weekly’s guide to Sunday’s Paris-Roubaix
The 33-year-old is one of an elite group of riders to have won all three Grand Tours – the Tour de France in 2007 and 2009, the Giro d’Italia in 2008 and 2015, and the Vuelta a España in 2008, 2012 and 2014. His 2010 Tour and 2011 Giro wins were invalidated due to a ban for testing positive for the banned substance clenbuterol.