By Nigel Wynn
Andreas Kloden (Astana) won the opening individual time trial stage of the 2009 Giro del Trentino in Italy on Wednesday.
The German headed up an Astana one-two, with team-mate Janez Brajkovic in second place, just one second behind Kloden.
Britain's sole participant in the stage race, Geraint Thomas (Barloworld), came home one minute 30 seconds behind Kloden in 83rd spot.
Thomas has had over a month off the bike since crashing out of the time trial in Tirreno-Adriatico in mid-March. The crash resulted in Thomas fracturing his nose and a bone in his groin.
The riders in the Giro del Trentino now face three consecutive road stages culminating in a long 214.2km stage on Saturday, April 25. Last year's race was won by Vincenzo Nibali, who is not taking part this year.
Giro del Trentino stage one TT results
1. Andreas Kloden (Ger) Astana 16.3km in 18-21
2. Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana at 1sec
3. Andriy Grivko (Ukr) ISD at 7secs
4. Branislau Samoilau (Blr) Amica Chips at 8secs
5. Gabriele Bosisio (Ita) LPR Brakes at 9secs
6. Giovanni Visconti (Ita) ISD at 22secs
7. Leonardo Bertagnolli (Ita) Amica Chips at 24secs
8. Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone at 26secs
9. Bartosz Huzarski (Pol) ISD at 30secs
10. Luca Celli (Ita) Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni at 34secs
83. Geraint Thomas (GB) Barloworld at 1-30
Rebellin takes hat-trick in Fleche Wallonne
Thomas crashes out in Tirreno-Adriatico time trial
Chris Froome reveals the race he'd like to win before retirement
The seven-time Grand Tour winner speaks about how tech and data help younger riders get to the top earlier and how it helps recovery
By Tim Bonville-Ginn •
Coldplay perform using energy powered by 60 cyclists
The cyclists powered the music performances at the inaugural Earthshot Prize
By Ryan Dabbs •