Lennard Kamna (Germany) took an utterly convincing win in the junior men’s World Championship time trial on Tuesday in Ponferrada, Spain.
Kamna finished over 44 seconds ahead of silver medallist Adrien Costa (USA) and nearly a minute ahead of bronze medallist Michael Storer (Australia).
Ireland’s Michael O’Loughlin started his run very quickly, setting the second-fastest time at the first split point behind Kamna but faded slightly in the second half to finish eighth.
Sole British rider Matthew Gibson continued the nation’s run of top 10 finishes with 10th spot. Gibson will take part in the junior men’s road race on Saturday.
UCI Road World Championships 2014, junior men’s time trial
1. Lennard Kamna (Ger) in 36-13.49
2. Adrian Costa (USA) at 44.66 secs
3. Michael Storer (Aus) at 58.11 secs
4. Filippo Ganna (Ita) at 1-05.94
5. Zeke Mostov (USA) at 1-19.13
6. Tom Wirtgen (Lux) at 1-29.86
7. Sven Reutter (Ger) at 1-34.27
8. Michael O’Loughlin (Ire) at 1-42.81
9. Jaime Restrepo (Col) at 1-43.89
10. Matthew Gibson (GBr) at 1-46.81