British riders Lucy Garner (Giant-Shimano) and Lizzie Armitstead (Boels-Dolmans) placed second and third behind Chantal Blaak (Specialized-lululemon) in the Drentse 8 race in the Netherlands on Thursday.
Blaak took a solo win after attacking in the finale, with Garner and Armitstead bringing the chasing bunch home at eight seconds.
“It was a hard day, very up and down and then a really hectic finish,” Garner said after the finish. “My legs are feeling strong and I’m really happy with the bike and how training has been going so it’s good to get a nice result here putting it all into practice.”
Armitstead is enjoying a strong run of form, having won the Omloop van het Hageland on Sunday and placing third in the women’s Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.
The Drentse 8 is part of a series of events leading up to the Boels Rental Ronde van Drenthe opening UCI Women’s Road World Cup round on Saturday, March 15.
Molecaten Drentse 8 2014
1. Chantal Blaak (Ned) Specialized-lululemon in 4-05-49
2. Lucy Garner (GBr) Giant-Shimano at 8 secs
3. Lizzie Armitstead (GBr) Boels-Dolmans
4. Barbara Guarischi (Ita) Ale Cipollini
5. Emma Johansson (Swe) Orica-AIS
6. Amy Pieters (Ned) Giant-Shimano
7. Trixi Worrack (Ger) Specialized-lululemon
8. Emilia Fahlin (Swe) Wiggle-Honda
9. Chloe Hosking (Aus) Hitec Products
10. Maria Confalonieri (Ita) Estado De Mexico at same time
Coverage of the 2014 women's World Cup road race series available via UCI's YouTube channel