Alex Dowsett (Movistar) took the overall victory at Bayern Rundfahrt, after he moved into the lead with time trial victory on the previous day.
The overall win is Dowsett’s first in a stage race as a professional.
The final stage ended in a sprint in Nuremberg which was won by John Degenkolb (Giant-Alpecin), his second stage win in the five-day race.
A six-man break went away early on during the 197km stage from Hassfurt to Nuremberg, but with Movistar determined to keep Dowsett in yellow and the sprinters’ teams eyeing a final stage victory, the catch was inevitable.
Ireland’s Sam Bennett, riding for Bora-Argon 18, will also be delighted with his work in Bavaria, claiming two sprints in the race.
The win rounded off a good weekend for Dowsett after Sir Bradley Wiggins failed to take his National 10 Mile TT record on Saturday afternoon.
Bayern Rundfahrt final overall classification
1. Alex Dowsett (GBr) Movistar, 20:07:29
2. Tiago Machado (Por) Katusha, at 2s
3. Jan Barta (Cze) Bora-Argon 18, at 18s
4. Ramuna Navardauskas (Ltu) Cannondale-Garmin, at 22s
5. Dylan Van Baarle (Ned) Cannondale-Garmin, at 31s
6. Nils Politt (Ger) Team Stölting, at 33s
7. Jack Bauer (NZl) Cannondale-Garmin, at 46s
8. Lawrence Warbasse (USA) IAM-Cycling, at 47s
9. Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Cult Energy Pro Cycling, at 52s
10. Jasha Sütterlin (Ger) Movistar, at 53s