Wiggins and Pooley take British TT Champs titles
British Time Trial Championships 2009 photo gallery, by Andy Jones>>
Bradley Wiggins (Garmin-Slipstream) has earned the right to wear the British national champion's jersey - in events against the clock - by winning the British Time Trial Championship in Buckinghamshire on Sunday.
Wiggins clocked 1-02-15 over the 31.2 miles to beat Michael Hutchinson (In-Gear Quickvit RT), who completed the course in 1-04-34. Chris Newton (Rapha-Condor) came third with 1-06-14.
Despite posting what would have been a podium-worthy time, Matt Bottrill (Team I Ride) was disqualified for drafting Wiggins when the Garmin rider caught and passed him.
Beijing Olympics TT silver medallist Emma Pooley (Cervelo) won the women's event with a time of 46-11. Wendy Houvenaghel (Science in Sport) was second with 46-41, and Julia Shaw (Utag-Yamaha) third with 47-13.
Alex Dowsett (100% ME) took the Under-23 men's title ahead of Andy Tennant (Halfords-Bikehut).
British time trial championships 2009: Men
1. Bradley Wiggins (Garmin-Slipstream) in 1-02-15
2. Michael Hutchinson (In-Gear Quickvit RT) 1-04-34
3. Chris Newton (Rapha-Condor) 1-06-14
4. Rob Hayles (Halfords-Bikehut) 1-06-23
5. Wouter Sybrandy (Team Sigma Sport) 1-06-33
6. Charles McCulloch (Shorter Rochford RT) 1-07-31
7. Jerone Walters (Team Sigma Sport) 1-08-07
8. John Tuckett (AW Cycles/Giant) 1-08-25
9. Steve Lampier (KUK-Kinesis) 1-08-37
10. Mark Holton (Shorter Rochford RT) 1-08-41
1. Emma Pooley (Cervelo Test Team) in 46-11
2. Wendy Houvenaghel (Science in Sport) 46-41
3. Julia Shaw (Utag Yamaha) 47-15
4. Sarah Storey (VC St Raphael) 47-43
5. Chrissy Radon (Wycombe CC) 49-46
6. Ruth Eyles (Beacon Roads CC) 49-57
7. Charlotte Blackman (Cyclefit RT) 51-14
8. Avril Swan (Team Endura/MI Racing) 51-41
9. Lesley Walkling (a3rg/PB Science/SIS) 51-43
10. Claire Newland (Welwyn Wheelers) 51-46
1. Alex Dowsett (100% ME) 42-37
2. Andy Tennant (Halfords Bikehut) 43-16
3. Andrew Griffiths (New Heebra Lombarden) 43-36
Joe Perrett (Glendene CC-Biketrax) 21-38
Conor Dunne (Hemel Hempstead CC) 22-07
Jamie Rogers (Scunthorpe Poly CC) 22-01
Michael Hutchinson took silver in the men's event
Bradley Wiggins on his way to winning the men's title
Emma Pooley scooped the women's championship
Junior winner Joe Perrett
Under-23 champion Alex Dowsett
Masters victor Jeff Jones
British Time Trial Championships 2009 photo gallery, by Andy Jones
British time trial championships: The big preview
Thank you for reading 10 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Founded in 1891, Cycling Weekly and its team of expert journalists brings cyclists in-depth reviews, extensive coverage of both professional and domestic racing, as well as fitness advice and 'brew a cuppa and put your feet up' features. Cycling Weekly serves its audience across a range of platforms, from good old-fashioned print to online journalism, and video.
Former Tour de France yellow jersey wearer to ride Unbound Gravel
Unbound 200 contestants will be joined by a gravel newcomer of note this year. Former Tour de France race leader Jan Bakelants is joining in on the fray.
By Anne-Marije Rook • Published
POC Ventral Tempus MIPS Review - A helmet for riding in the rain, and being seen
Bright, light and comfortable, but not cheap
By Tyler Boucher • Published