Adam Kenway (Metaltek Kuota RT) and Lou Bates (Veloschils Interbike RT) came away with the victory in the respective men’s and women’s categories in the 2016 edition of the annual Monsal Hill-Climb in the Peak District on Sunday.
Kenway clocked 1-16.5 to top the men’s standings, with last year’s winner Jospeh Clark (Envelopemaster Giant Sheffield) in second place with 1-16.7 and event veteran Russell Downing (JLT Condor) in third with 1-17.8. Downing has previously won the event four times – the first time was 20 years ago, in 1996.
Team Sky WorldTour professional Ben Swift also paid a visit to his ‘local’ hill-climb, and put in a time of 1-35.8 to place 33rd.
Malcolm Elliott’s 1981 course record of 1-14.2 for the 0.6km, 10.3 per cent gradient course stayed intact for yet another year. Former pro Elliott was on hand to make the podium presentations.
One record that did fall was the women’s course record, as Bates comfortably took the victory with 1-42.8.
Emilie Verroken (Langsett Cycles RT) placed second with 1-54.4 with Rebecca Goodson (Sheffrec CC) completing the women’s podium with 1-54.9.
In the remaining categories, Simon Froberg (Dinnington RC) took the veteran men’s title with 1-35.7; Ann Walsham (Maxx RT) the veteran women’s win; Robert Gray (HMT Academy) the junior men; Felicity Gledhll (SportCity) the junior women; Oliver Rees (Holmfirth CC) the schoolboys; and Lily Greenhalgh (East Bradford CC) the school girls win.
Monsal Hill-Climb 2016 result, men
1. Adam Kenway (Metaltek Kuota RT) in 1-16.5
2. Joseph Clark (Envelopemaster Giant Sheffield) 1-16.7
3. Russell Downing (JLT Condor) 1-17.8
4. Jack Pullar (Pedal Heaven) 1-18.6
5. Andy Nichols (Team B38/Underpin Racing) 1-21.5
6. Kieran Wynne-Cattanach (Rhos-on-Sea CC) 1-22.4
7. Calum Brown (Sheffrec CC) 1-22.7
8. Danny Featherstone (Andy Moore Autocentres) 1-22.8
9. Robert Gray (HMT Academy) 1-23.6
10. Shaun Dolby (Birdwell Wheelers) 1-24.1
1. Lou Bates (Veloschils Interbike RT) 1-42.8
2. Emilie Verroken (Langsett Cycles RT) 1-54.4
3. Rebecca Goodson (Sheffrec CC) 1-54.9
4. Elizabeth Stedman (Fusion RT) 1-57.2
5. Lily Greenhalgh (East Bradford CC) 1-58.2
6. Sian Botteley (Starley Racing) 2-02.2
7. Gemma Sargent (Kent Valley RC) 2-03.6
8. Nicola Soden (Veloschils Interbike RT) 2-09.0
9. Josephine Gilbet (Footon Velosport) 2-09.4
10. Fiona Harrison (Sheffrec CC) 2-11.1