American Levi Leipheimer (Radioshack) has moved up from 73rd to 18th place in the latest edition of the Union Cycliste Internationale’s Worldtour Ranking after winning the Tour de Suisse on Sunday.
Tour de Suisse runner-up Damiano Cunego (Lampre-ISD) shifts from 61st to 20th place with Suisse third-placed rider Steven Kruijswijck (Rabobank) one place lower down in 21st.
>> Struggling to get to the shops? Try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
The order of the top ten of the Worldtour Ranking remains unchanged from last week. Philippe Gilbert (Omega Pharma-Lotto) maintains his position at the top of the ranking with 356 points after winning Amstel Gold, Fleche Wallonne and Liege-Bastogne-Liege in the spring.
Gilbert lies ahead of Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-Sungard) in second with 349 points and Michele Scarponi (Lampre-ISD) in third with 348 points.
Britain’s highest-placed rider is Bradley Wiggins (Sky) in 12th place. Wiggins has amassed 181 points after winning the Critérium du Dauphine earlier in June and placing third in Paris-Nice in March.
Ben Swift (Sky) picked up two extra points for placing third on the eighth stage of the Tour de Suisse. The British sprinter is in 32nd place with 91 points.
Great Britain slips in the ranking-by-nation from seventh to ninth place after being leap-frogged by the USA and Switzerland. Spain is top nation.
HTC-Highroad maintains its position as top team with Leopard-Trek, Radioshack and Lampre-ISD all moving up. British-based Sky move down one to ninth spot.
The UCI’s Worldtour Ranking is compiled using a points system, with points awarded for one-day race, tour stage and stage race overall finishing positions for events in the UCI’s Worldtour.
The amount of points awarded depends on the ranking of the event. For example, winning the Tour de France overall gives a rider twice as many points as winning the Eneco Tour overall.
The next counting event in the UCI Worldtour will be the 2011 Tour de France, from Saturday July 2 to Sunday July 24.
UCI Worldtour individual ranking: June 20
1. Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 356 points
2. Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo Bank-Sungard 349 points
3. Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-ISD 348 points
4. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing 314 points
5. Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha 288 points
6. Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Leopard-Trek 248 points
7. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 224 points
8. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 210 points
9. Andreas Kloden (Ger) Radioshack 207 points
10. Matt Goss (Aus) HTC-Highroad 207 points
12. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Sky 181 points
32. Ben Swift (GB) Sky 91 points
64. Mark Cavendish (GB) HTC-Highroad 40 points
70. David Millar (GB) Garmin-Cervelo 29 points
119. Geraint Thomas (GB) Sky 5 points
Ranking by nation
1. Spain 1000 points
2. Italy 891 points
3. Belgium 765 points
4. Australia 748 points
5. Germany 508 points
9. Great Britain 349 points
Ranking by team
1. HTC-Highroad 628 points
2. Leopard-Trek 613 points
3. Radioshack 609 points
4. Lampre-ISD 548 points
5. Omega Pharma-Lotto 541 points
9. Team Sky 441 points