The Buff Coolnet UV+ provides effective UV protection in a lightweight piece for summer wear. That’s useful to help keep you from getting sunburnt, but despite its light weight and wicking qualities, wearing a Coolnet UV+ around your neck is still hotter than not wearing one.
UPF50 sun protection
Still warmer than if you don’t wear clothing over your head or neck
With the heightened awareness over the environmental effect of waste plastics, the Buff Coolnet UV+ is bang on trend. It’s made from a fabric that is 95% recycled polyester, with the remaining 5% being elastane for stretch. It’s designed for hot weather use, with Buff having it certified for its cooling effect, due to its wicking properties, by a German testing organisation.
Buff points out that there are many different ways you can wear your Buff Coolnet UV+. Some of these work better than others with a helmet. If you go for the classic neckwarmer option, you end up with quite a lot of loose fabric around your neck. Since it’s mostly not in contact with your skin, it can’t really provide effective wicking, so I found that it tended to keep my neck warmer rather than cooling it off.
That’s quite useful if you’re making an early start on a day that starts cool, adding a bit of extra warmth until you and the temperature warm up. The Buff Coolnet UV+ has the advantage that if you do take it off later in the day, it’s really compact and takes up minimal pocket space.
With a UPF of 50, there’s loads of sun protection, so the Buff Coolnet UV+ is useful to wear under a helmet on a day with high UV levels. Then, the fabric is more stretched out, so the wicking effect and air circulation do help keep you more comfortable, while the head coverage helps keep the sun at bay.
There are no seams in the Buff Coolnet UV+, either in the body or at its ends, so it’s comfortable, however you decide to wear it.
If, like me, you’ve got a larger head, Buff also sells the Coolnet UV+ neckwarmer in an XL version, designed to fit heads of sizes between 58cm and 62cm better.
While if you live somewhere where attacks by biting insects are a summer scourge, there’s an insect repellent range available as well.
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Paul started writing for Cycling Weekly in 2015, covering cycling tech, new bikes and product testing. Since then, he’s reviewed hundreds of bikes and thousands of other pieces of cycling equipment for the magazine and the Cycling Weekly website.
He’s been cycling for a lot longer than that though and his travels by bike have taken him all around Europe and to California. He’s been riding gravel since before gravel bikes existed too, riding a cyclocross bike through the Chilterns and along the South Downs.
Mike Burrows: the designer who influenced the bikes we ride today
A legendary bike designer and innovator, Burrows created the Lotus 108 ridden by Chris Boardman at the 1992 Olympics
By Tom Thewlis • Published
F1 driver Valtteri Bottas finishes first for his age in SBT GRVL race
The Alfa-Romeo driver came fourth overall across the 60-mile race in Colorado
By Ryan Dabbs • Published
Why cycling is great for your legs, lungs, immune system and mind – plus 11 other great benefits of life on two wheels!
If you're considering joining the world of cycling, here are some good reasons to get on your bike this year
By Michelle Arthurs-Brennan • Published