Alejandro Valverde soloed to victory in San Sebastian today having left his break away companions in the closing kilometres.
The Spaniard recorded his second win in the Spanish one-day classic, beating a host of other riders who had come out of the Tour de France with good form. Valverde, who faded in the final week of the Tour, eventually losing his podium spot, beat Belkin’s Bauke Mollema, Joaquim Rodriguez and Mikel Nieve by 14 seconds having ridden the final 14 kilometres on his own.
>> Struggling to get to the shops try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
Another group of three, including French hero Tony Gallopin, trailed in another 12 seconds behind them.
Having pulled the lead group of five clear on the final climb, Valverde then attacked on the descent. It was here that Orica’s Adam Yates, back racing after a mid-season break from racing, crashed. Initial reports say the British neo-pro is okay and the fact he made the lead group bodes well for his Grand Tour debut at the Vuelta a Espana at the end of the month.
Clasica San Sebastian (Esp) 219km
1. Alejandro Valverde (Esp) Movistar 5:31:11
2. Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin +0.14 sec
3. Joaquim Rodriguez (Esp) Katusha +0.14 sec
4. Mikel Nieve (Esp) Sky +0.14 sec
5. Tony Gallopin (Fra) Lotto-Belisol +0.26 sec
6. Jelle Vanendert (Bel) Lotto-Belisol +0.26 sec
7. Haimar Zubeldia (Esp) Trek Factory Racing +0.26 sec
8. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC +0.40 sec
9. Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar +0.40 sec
10. Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Omega Pharma – Quickstep +0.43 sec
43. Adam Yates (GBr) OricaGreenEdge +3:57
DNF Simon Yates (GBr) OricaGreenEdge