Silly season is pretty much upon us, what with 95 per cent of the cycling year complete and the annual break beckoning. Usually ascetic pro cyclists now find themselves looking forward to all manner of high jinx, japes and scrapes during their time off.*
In fairness none of that really has a bearing on this week's delve into twitterland, where it's silly / sad / ranty / life-affirming season all year round and all at once. Ergo, we're confident this week's medley of musings won't disappoint. With no further ado – unless you count the 30 words standing between you and the first tweet below, and the approximately seven seconds it takes you to read those words – let the tweets commence.
* Possibly. It could happen.
1. Chris Froome looking forward to the annual WorldTour cultural deep-dive that is the Saitama Criterium in Japan
So looking forward to returning to Japan for the @saitamacrite by @letour this year. It’s not just a great race with the most amazing, kind fans - I’ve experienced everything from being a ninja to a sumo wrestler, making mochi to taking part in… pic.twitter.com/vpAW80KN8pOctober 7, 2022
2. Two generations of Belgian talent having a chuckle at how amazing it all is, really
🇧🇪 #BincheChimayBincheWondering what these two were talking about 😃 pic.twitter.com/0yUU5wbAesOctober 4, 2022
3. Arnaud De Lie presents a masterclass in styling it out as he defies the very laws of physics in this crash
Arnaud De Lie finished 15th. He crashed on the final bend with 900m to go but got up, jumped on his bike, chased and sprinted through the bunch... pic.twitter.com/FzlDkgoxagOctober 2, 2022
4. Julian Alaphilippe switches his computer settings (and his kit) from 'World Champ' to 'Not World Champ' for the Giro dell'Emilia
First road race in more than two years for @alafpolak1 in the regular Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl kit!#GirodellEmiliaPhoto: @GettySport pic.twitter.com/uiiUhnRnj3October 1, 2022
5. If you're going to spend your life being mistaken for someone else, you may as well show off your graphics skills while you're at it
Thirteen years of being the 'other' Geraint Thomas. #MyTwitterAnniversary pic.twitter.com/SmSnH76bHUOctober 6, 2022
6. Plastered in mud, sweat and blood. The cycling version of 'SAS: Are You Tough Enough?'
Look mum, I’m on @netflix ! 📺👀@annekevandijk2 https://t.co/gqPLK49pw4October 2, 2022
7. It's World Smile Day today, so let's see those choppers. Apparently it's contagious too, so have a look at this and get involved
📆 Journée mondiale du sourire 😁Des sourires et de la bonne humeur... une bonne façon de résumer notre équipe 🤗📷 CassandraDonnePhotographies / Coralie Bertrand Photographie / @directvelo#UnisDansLaFormation | #AG2RCITROËNU23TEAM 🚴 pic.twitter.com/XJRiRbvgi3October 7, 2022
8. Looks like Filippo Ganna has already set one Hour Record — for having the coolest ever bike for the job
Behind the scenes with @Pinarello_com 🎥🔥A snapshot of what it took to produce the Bolide F HR 3D ahead of @GannaFilippo’s #UCIHourRecord ⏱🇮🇹👀 pic.twitter.com/22lcUUtQMbOctober 4, 2022
9. No looking back: Remco visits his old club Anderlecht, only to see them beaten 1-0 by West Ham (shhh....)
Always special to be here!💜 pic.twitter.com/NSHrg7tJ0oOctober 6, 2022
10. Dan Bigham mightn't be the Hour Record holder much longer, but he's OK with that
A post shared by Dan Bigham (@danbiggles) (opens in new tab)
A photo posted by on
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
After cutting his teeth on local and national newspapers, James began at Cycling Weekly as a sub-editor in 2000 when the current office was literally all fields.
Eventually becoming chief sub-editor, in 2016 he switched to the job of full-time writer, and covers news, racing and features.
A lifelong cyclist and cycling fan, James's racing days (and most of his fitness) are now in the past, although that doesn't stop him banging on tirelessly about "that one time" he nearly rode a 20-minute '10', and planning the big comeback that everyone knows will never actually happen.
Black Friday bike deals live: computers, smartwatches, clothing, shoes and more!
Black Friday is well under way and we'll be on hand throughout the long weekend picking out the very best deals on cycling kit
By Stefan Abram • Published
Black Friday children's bikes deals: Early Rider, Specialized, Cannondale and more
From balance bikes and BMXs to the more grown-up machines, we've found the best savings from around the web
By Simon Smythe • Published