By Nigel Wynn
Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins tops the latest edition of the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) WorldTour rankings, published on completion of the Tour on Sunday.
Wiggins has amassed an impressive 601 points, well ahead of second-placed Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha), with 404 points. Wiggins has also won Paris-Nice, the Criterium du Dauphine and Tour de Romandie this season.
Wiggins' team-mate and fellow Briton Chris Froome rockets up the table to sixth position with 266 points after his second place overall and stage win at the Tour.
Triple Tour stage winner Mark Cavendish (Sky) goes up to 27th spot from 46th place, and David Millar (Garmin-Sharp) enters the ranking for the first time this season with 20 points from his Tour stage win.
Ben Swift (Sky) is at 86th in the ranking after winning two stages of the Tour of Poland last week.
Great Britain moves up to third spot in the nation ranking behind Spain and Italy. Sky are top in the team ranking, ahead of Liquigas-Cannondale and Katusha.
The UCI's WorldTour Ranking is compiled using a points system, with points awarded for one-day race, tour stage and stage race overall finishing positions for events in the UCI's WorldTour.
The amount of points awarded depends on the ranking of the event. For example, winning the Tour de France overall gives a rider twice as many points as winning the Eneco Tour overall.
Belgian Philippe Gilbert topped last year's WorldTour ranking with 718 points. Bradley Wiggins finished in eighth place with 289 points.
UCI WorldTour ranking (as at July 22 2012 after Tour de France)
1. Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky 601 points
2. Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha 404 points
3. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 400 points
4. Tom Boonen (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep 368 points
5. Peter Sagan (Svk) Liquigas-Cannondale 351 points
6. Chris Froome (GBr) Sky 266 points
7. Samuel Sanchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 252 points
8. Jurgen Van den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 237 points
27. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Sky 128 points
86. Ben Swift (GBr) Sky 24 points
88. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky 22 points
97. David Millar (GBr) Garmin-Sharp 20 points
Ranking by team
1. Sky 1318 points
2. Liquigas-Cannondale 988 points
3. Katusha 761 points
Ranking by nation
1. Spain 1136 points
2. Italy 1084 points
3. Great Britain 1041 points
Sky maintains position as top team in UCI WorldTour
British men just miss out on Madison medal as Mørkøv gets gold for Denmark on final day of Roubaix Track Worlds
Katie Archibald also took silver in the points race, her fourth medal of these Championships
By Jonny Long •
Jan Ullrich undertakes longest ride 'since Milan - San Remo 1997' at Mallorca Gran Fondo
The German says he has been training hard over the past year after recovering from a troubled period
By Jonny Long •