Cycling Weekly Sportive series partners Cycleplan can provide specialist cycling insurance for you, your bicycle and accessories whether that be cycling for leisure, commuting, off-road, competition, sportives, track, road racing or triathlons.
There are approximately 500,000 bikes stolen every year – that’s almost one every minute – and over 19,000 reported cycling injuries each year, many of which are serious. Statistics have also shown that police attribute 43 per cent of collisions between vehicles and bikes to the cyclist. Add that to the increasing ‘compensation culture’ society we live in, and it’s more vital than ever that cyclists know that they, as well as their bicycles, are covered.
Cycleplan recommend that all riders are protected with a specialist cycling insurance policy.
Cycling related thefts and accidents may be higher in urban areas but the cost of insurance is the same with Cycleplan regardless of your postcode, meaning there is no extra charge for people who may be of a higher risk.
Multiple bikes can be insured on one policy, and if you are unfortunate and have an accident or you are the victim of theft, Cycleplan can provide replacement bikes, so you don’t ever have to be at a disadvantage.
Cycleplan has put together a summary of the benefits of having a policy with them.
Specialist cycle insurance versus household insurance
Although you can add your bike to a home insurance policy, you need to be aware of the potential shortcomings for a cyclist:
• It is likely that you will pay more to extend your household policy than the cost of a Cycleplan policy
• A household policy will likely only cover the bike when it’s at home. Research has shown that one in three household policies do not cover bikes away from the home
• A household policy will not necessarily cover you for the full value should your bike or accessories get stolen
• If there’s a serious injury to you or a third party, your household public liability insurance may not necessarily provide cover away from the home
• If you rent a property it is likely you won’t have any public liability cover at all as this is normally attached to the building insurance rather than the contents insurance
What does Cycleplan cover?
• Bike theft, loss & accidental damage up to £30,000
• Standalone Public Liability option up to £5 million
• Multiple bikes & accessories on one policy
• No premium increase if you live in a city
• Personal Accident cover up to £50,000 – including broken bones
• ‘New For Old’ cover as standard on bikes up to 3 years old
• 0% APR on policies with premiums over £20
• European and worldwide cover options available
• No premium penalty following a claim
• Lowest price promise
Cycleplan managing director John Woosey comments: “We’re delighted to continue supporting both the Sportive and Adventure Cross Series for another year after the impressive number of riders each event received in 2015. For riders, a big part of enjoying these events is having the peace of mind that if something goes wrong, they’re covered with specialist cycling insurance. To encourage each rider to get the necessary protection, we’re offering a massive 25% discount to all series entrants looking to challenge body and bicycle in 2016 – good luck everyone!”
Cycleplan is offering all Cycling Weekly Sportive and Adventure Cross riders an exclusive 25% off an annual policy, the exclusive discount code will be included in the rider information pack which will be emailed to riders ahead of the event.