American Kristin Armstrong (USA) successfully defended her Olympic time trial title on Wednesday, winning the women’s event in Hampton Court.
Armstrong beat German Judith Arndt by 15 seconds on the 29km course, with road race bronze medallist Olga Zabelinskaya (Russia) grabbing another medal in third.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Great Britain’s Emma Pooley finished in sixth place, over a minute down on Armstrong. She was visibly upset at the finish having not won a medal after clinching silver in 2008.
Road race silver medallist Lizzie Armitstead (Great Britain) finished in 10th spot.
London 2012 Olympic Games: Women’s time trial, 29km
1. Kristin Armstrong (USA) in 37-34
2. Judith Arndt (Germany) at 16 secs
3. Olga Zabelinskaya (Russia) at 23 secs
4. Linda Villumsen (New Zealand) at 24 secs
5. Clara Hughes (Canada) at 54 secs
6. Emma Pooley (Great Britain) at 1-03
7. Amber Neben (USA) at 1-10
8. Ellen Van Dijk (Netherlands) at 1-19
9. Trixi Worrack (Germany) at 1-46
10. Lizzie Armitstead (Great Britain) at 1-52
Armstrong catches road race winner Marianne Vos
Arndt, Armstrong and Zabelinskaya
London 2012: Latest news
London 2012: Team info
London 2012: Event guides
London 2012: Reports
London 2012: Photos
London 2012: Podcasts