Wind and rain battered the Tour de France on stage two, turning it more into a Spring Classic than a race that’s happening in the middle of the Summer.
The riders soldiered through the inclement weather – some contenders lost time, while other domestiques simply grinned and bared it until the end.
>> Get an extra 5% off the discounted price of a magazine subscription this weekend with the code SPOOKY5. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
And once they were safely back on the team buses they got their phones out and told us all about it on Twitter.
1. Giant-Alpecin hardman Koen de Kort isn’t stopped easily, but cycling in odd shoes is something that does slow him down.
2. Dan Martin lost time because he just found himself on the wrong side of the street.
3. There are some odd riders out there, though, who actually enjoy these conditions, like Alpecin’s Albert Timmer
4. It looked like Mark Cavendish eased up when he realised he wasn’t going to win, but the Manxman took to social media to get his point across in his own inimitable way.
5. Jan Bakelants is the master of the understatement.
6. While Alex Dowsett is the master of the overstatement and then the retraction.
7. And Andrew Talansky sums it up nicely – this kind of action is why we love the Tour.
Watch Cycling Weekly pundits discuss their favourite things about the Tour de France