Cyclo-cross World Champion Zdenek Stybar (Telenet-Fidea) opened his new season’s account with a convincing win in the first round of the 2010/11 cyclo-cross World Cup in Aigle, Switzerland.
Czech Stybar powered around the course based in the Union Cycliste Internationale’s back garden in Switzerland to win nine seconds ahead of Neils Albert (BKCP-Powerplus), with Telenet team-mate Kevin Pauwels in third.
Britain’s sole representative in the race, Ian Field (Hargroves), put in a solid ride to place 34th, three minutes and 42 seconds adrift of Stybar.
American Katherine Compton took a convincing win in the women’s event, placing half a minute ahead of second-placed Daphny Van Den Brand of the Netherlands.
British cyclo-cross champion Helen Wyman (Kona) started her 2010/11 campaign strongly by placing sixth, one minute and 24 seconds behind Compton.
The riders have just a week to recover before the second event in the eight-round series takes place in Plzen, Czech Republic, on Sunday, October 24.
UCI Cyclo-Cross World Cup, round 1: Aigle, Switzerland
1. Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Telenet-Fidea in 1-03-48
2. Neils Albert (Bel) BKCP-Powerplus at 9 secs
3. Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Telenet-Fidea at 14 secs
4. Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb-Revor at 20 secs
5. Dieter Vanthourenhout (Bel) BKCP-Powerplus at 28 secs
34. Ian Field (GB) Hargroves Cycles at 3-42
1. Katherine Compton (USA)
2. Daphny Van Den Brand (Ned) at 30 secs
3. Katerina Nash (Cze) Luna Pro Team at 38 secs
4. Sanne Van Paassen (Ned) at 39secs
5. Hanka Kupfernagel (Ger) at 1-09
6. Helen Wyman (GB) Kona at 1-24
Katherine Compton wins the women’s event
Zdenek Stybar wins the men’s event