It feels such a shame that we have to wait until next year for another edition of either Paris-Roubaix Femmes or Hommes. We were spoiled by having two weekends in hell so close to each other thanks to the pandemic, and now we will have to be patient for a whole year until the race comes round again.
Good job, then, that both the women's and men's races were such fantastic spectacles, and had deserving winners in Elisa Longo Borghini and Dylan van Baarle. The two days in northern France created so much social media content that we decided to do a Roubaix special, with one exception.
Trek-Segafredo got very excited about Longo Borghini's win, obviously, so there's a lot of stuff from then, along with some dramatic stuff from the men's race. Sit back and recount the brilliant weekend with some top tier posting.
1. Philippe Gilbert had one last Paris-Roubaix to ride in his final year, and decided to saddle up for it, to help on the pavé
A photo posted by on
2. The men's Trek-Segafredo squad get very into Longo Borghini's performance at Roubaix, which is heartening to see
Meanwhile at the men's team presentation a cheering squad!#ParisRoubaixFemmes pic.twitter.com/OVaBoo3jLkApril 16, 2022
3. As do her Trek teammates Chloe Hosking and Audrey Cordon Ragot, who get a VIP view of the Italian lifting the trophy on stage
Supporters @TrekSegafredo 🙌@chloe_hosking @CordonRagot ❤️🎥 @NielsGoudriaan pic.twitter.com/rk2Nxo16VeApril 16, 2022
4. A trophy so heavy that Elisa Longo Borghini almost drops it... fortunately she held on
🪨😂🪨😂Credit to @tourdegila for making this! pic.twitter.com/vGSZ2Bk38dApril 16, 2022
5. Longo Borghini will now get her own shower block at Roubaix, alongside the long history of great winners
They’ll be making one for you now, @ElisaLongoB!📸 @harperjojo pic.twitter.com/i6SsCWyEQJApril 16, 2022
6. It's not just riders and bikes who are affected by the brutal road surfaces of Paris-Roubaix, as photographer Sean Hardy found out
Welcome to Roubaix ! pic.twitter.com/IJ7adwZdjOApril 16, 2022
7. Riders had to take wheels from other teams just to finish the attritional race, with Antoine Raugel nicking a wheel from UAE, luckily it fitted...
👋 @TeamEmiratesUAE , @antoinergl says thank you for the wheel! You allowed him to finish his first Paris-Roubaix 🙏#ParisRoubaix @campagnolosrl @Pirelli pic.twitter.com/35uYHnbSKEApril 17, 2022
8. It was a hard day out at The Hell of the North for Filippo Ganna, as the Italian finished for the first time, but really paid the price for it
Vuoi invecchiare 40 anni in due giorni ? -Ossa rotte -Crampi a braccia e mani E pezzo forte Ogni volta che ti alzi è un HOPLÀ ?Ho ciò che fa per te, alla modica cifra di una @Paris_Roubaix.April 19, 2022
9. Wout van Aert swapped bikes with Timo Roosen, meaning the latter's bike computer had a faster day than it was perhaps expecting
Great to see my Garmin had the day of his life with Wout 🙌🏼April 18, 2022
10. Groupama-FDJ's Jacopo Guarnieri speculates as to just what Dylan van Baarle said to Dave Brailsford as the pair embraced after the former's Roubaix victory
I'm pretty sure it went this way #ParisRoubaix pic.twitter.com/1nTdG3Q2iaApril 18, 2022
11. And finally, Dan Martin wants us to all realise that he is actually retired now, and we shouldn't expect him to still be riding as well as he once did
To be clear. Still love riding my bike and cycling. Just enjoying it much more now I’m it a slave to my power meter. But actually I’m not sure I ever knew what my FTP was 🤣April 19, 2022
Thank you for reading 20 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1