By Nigel Wynn
Alessandro Petacchi (LPR Brakes) won Wednesday's Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen semi-classic race in Belgium.
Paris-Roubaix winner Tom Boonen (Quick Step) was one of the high-profile victims of a large crash in the final 100 metres of the race, which was caused when Robbie McEwen (Katusha) and Greg Van Avermaet (Silence-Lotto) wiped out.
Despite having hundreds of wins on his palmares, this is Petacchi's first win on Belgian soil.
Britain's top finisher was Roger Hammond (Cervelo) at 30th, 30 seconds behind Petacchi. Hammond's team-mate and fellow Brit Jeremy Hunt came in 54th.
Isle of Man sprint ace Mark Cavendish (Columbia), winner of the race for the past two years, elected to miss the event.
Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen 2009 results
1. Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) LPR Brakes 200km in 4-27-20
2. Kenny Van Hummel (Ned) Skil-Shimano
3. Dominique Rollin (Can) Cervelo
4. Antonio Cruz (USA) BMC
5. Peter Wrolich (Aut) Milram
6. Harald Starzengruber (Aut) Elk Haus
7. Bjorn Schroder (Ger) Milram
8. Jose Antonio Carrasco Ramirez (Spa) Andalucia-Cajasur
9. Bernhard Eisel (Aut) Columbia
10. James Vanlandschoot (Bel) Verandas Willems all at same time.
30. Roger Hammond (GB) Cervelo at 30secs
54. Jeremy Hunt (GB) Cervelo at 39secs
2009 Spring Classics: results, report, photos and more
Alessandro Petacchi: Rider Profile
'Opi-Omi' Tour de France spectator faces four-month suspended sentence
Her lawyer described her as 'terrified' by the media storm that followed the incident
By Tim Bonville-Ginn •
Departing Movistar sports director José Arrieta said to be considering legal action against team
The Spaniard was a star of the squad's Netflix series
By Jonny Long •