It's the week before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature is stirring, not even a cycling team social media manager.
Well, that might be a stretch, but as we enter the off-est of off-season periods, good tweets about cycling are a bit thin on the ground. Whether it's because of the lack of any kind of racing, really, or the darkness making it pretty unappealing to go cycling, but everyone is in their version of hibernation right now.
Here are some of the top social media bits and pieces that you might have missed this week while you were buying presents and trying not to think too much about the impending doom of the pandemic.
1. The gig is up, Tom Pidcock is Spiderman. If you had been wondering how he managed to storm to Olympic MTB gold, it was with his spidey sense
Swinging into a weekend of Cyclocross like... 🕷️@Tompid 🕸️ #CXWorldCup pic.twitter.com/ldKmzkM7keDecember 17, 2021
2. Movistar's new kit has a bit of a Team Sky 2017 flavour... which is no bad thing, considering they won Milan-San Remo, the Tour de France and the Vuelta a España in it. The Spanish team will be hoping for some of that magic
pic.twitter.com/srfZZYonCiDecember 15, 2021
3. Alexander Vinokourov is back back back at Astana-Qazaqstan and things are pretty weird at their training camp. Christopher Nolan who?
A photo posted by on
4. Once your cyclo-cross race has finished, it is always good to go on Twitter the next day and be self-deprecating about the result, so take a bow Josie Nelson
Spoiler alert - No https://t.co/Vm1sZKUG32December 13, 2021
5. Once you hang up your cleats, the first thing you should absolutely do is go on your country's version of Strictly Come Dancing. Nicolas Roche will look fantastic in sequins and fake tan, we can't wait.
Very exited to part of the show😄🕺 https://t.co/E0tK144V6iDecember 12, 2021
6. Not all former presidents of the UCI are as intellectual as Brian Cookson. This week, we are simply glad that he did not pick La Peste, also by Camus. Bit too on the nose
L'Etranger by Albert Camus.December 17, 2021
7. New bike lanes make us all happy. Merry Christmas
A new day dawns for cycling in Hammersmith today!!!#C9isHERE 🌅🥳✨🚲 pic.twitter.com/xXBb4f3Wj0December 17, 2021
8. I ask myself this question at least once a week
Is it nearly The Tour de France?December 17, 2021
9. What are they like!!!!
Kids these days 🙄 @PavelSivakov pic.twitter.com/AQgKtsKnAdDecember 13, 2021
10. Isn't that all branding is?
A pair of shorts named by a Swiss cat walking across an Assos keyboard. https://t.co/HuMsVk2xKfDecember 17, 2021
We'll be back soon with more tweets to stop you from remembering that 2021 wasn't all bad, promise.
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Adam is Cycling Weekly’s senior news and feature writer – his greatest love is road racing but as long as he is cycling on tarmac, he's happy. Before joining Cycling Weekly he spent two years writing for Procycling, where he interviewed riders and wrote about racing, speaking to people as varied as Demi Vollering to Philippe Gilbert. Before cycling took over my professional life, he covered ecclesiastical matters at the world’s largest Anglican newspaper and politics at Business Insider. Don't ask how that is related to cycling.
'I'm just a farmer's son from Belgium' — Yves Lampaert shocked at winning stage one of the Tour de France
Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl rider says he was hoping for a top ten, but went five seconds faster than anyone else in the time trial
By Adam Becket • Published
Balsamo: 'For every Italian rider it is a dream to wear the pink jersey'
Excellent team work brings the jersey home for Trek-Segafredo’s Italian world champion
By Owen Rogers • Published