The end of the cycling season is speeding towards us frighteningly quickly. There is just one WorldTour and one Women's WorldTour race left, the rainbow jerseys have been divvied up, and relegation seems almost certain for a couple of men's teams. It is that time of the year when things might start to feel bleak for some, as the nights draw in for the northern hemisphere.
Do not fear, though. For not only is the Tour Down Under just four months away, and Omloop Het Nieuwsblad only five. I'm sure the time will fly by (maybe not, really). During the fallow period, we will have to content ourselves with social media content, which seems to never stop or pause, unlike racing. In fact, there's so much top-level content coming that the poor author of this piece has to really think about what to include in his hilarious round-ups.
You might think "what is the point in this?" and it would be a fair question, but here is some content that should entertain you through these wet and cold autumnal days. It's Friday! Just enjoy them.
1. Firstly, we should say that all of us at Cycling Weekly send our solidarity to Iain Treloar off of Cycling Tips, who was denied access to the World Championships for spurious reasons
9/9 Given all of this, I find it difficult to see this denial of accreditation as anything other than targeted. Yes, there are big problems in the world and this isn't one, but press freedom is important – and at that point this issue becomes bigger than cycling journalism.September 24, 2022
2. Onto the less serious stuff. How long can Ellen van Dijk milk the exciting prize she got from EasyToys earlier this year?
Still enjoying it😏pic.twitter.com/dJpOjjqqm3September 28, 2022
3. Ned Boulting, once a cycling commentator, now a political satirist
pic.twitter.com/oL9reYYH9cSeptember 28, 2022
4. Geraint Thomas is 36. He has won the Tour de France, and finished on the podium twice more. He doesn't need to do the 'CRO Race', but there he is, slugging away. Unlucky
Last race of the season, wish me luck 🤣 #CRORace🇭🇷 pic.twitter.com/41lcnHeMUWSeptember 26, 2022
5. Remember Greg van Avermaet? He won gold at the 2016 Olympics, then Paris-Roubaix the year after. He was the future of Belgian cycling once. Now it's all about this Remco character...
pic.twitter.com/Lsby7QbAJRSeptember 26, 2022
6. Speaking of Remco Evenepoel, I think there is about two years between these two photos of him in rainbow stripes
pic.twitter.com/CdHlfx1GvFSeptember 25, 2022
7. While the Belgian dazzled at the front of the World Championship road race last weekend, Alexander Kamp was further back, finishing 57th. He rather unfairly compares himself here to the Danish ex-footballer Stig Tøfting, who played 14 league games for Bolton Wanderers. Poor Kamp. At least he didn't headbutt a café owner.
Hvis Remco spillede som Maradona i dag så spillede jeg som Stig Tøfting. Nu skal der åbnes nogle ølForøvrigt formidabelt kørt af @skjelmose_. Nogle gange går der taktik i den på de sidste meter, og fred være med det.September 25, 2022
8. Eritrean fans are great, aren't they? One of the people below seems to have grown a boombox, which is very clever
We know who these fans are hoping to see in rainbow stripes later today 😉#Wollongong2022 pic.twitter.com/8oKPic0DfOSeptember 25, 2022
9. Where was Jonas Vingegaard? He famously doesn't have many hobbies, so he was probably just hanging out with his family. A hunt was on to find him
A post shared by Wout van Art (@woutvanart) (opens in new tab)
A photo posted by on
10. Not to worry! Here he is, looking like err the happiest man in the world (?) after winning his first race since the Tour de France. If this is the best smile he can do... the mind boggles
🇭🇷 #CRORaceThis is 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞 we want to see. 😃 pic.twitter.com/Cwh4I3kYFnSeptember 29, 2022
11. Peter Sagan, once the best bike rider in the world, now a hype man for his brand sponsors
Hello @petosagan 👋 Peter at the fanride @sportful_japan @FCTeamTotalEnrj @TeamTElactu #ownyourroad #Petersagan #specialized #japan #cycling #bike pic.twitter.com/pngbAY4CWKSeptember 30, 2022
12. Marc Sergeant had some choice words for someone, who could it be? Probably his successor as boss at Lotto Soudal, John Lelangue
Stel je voor, je krijgt een mooi schip, het was al decennia lang goed onderhouden en toch begin je er een gat in te maken,maar als het zinkend is,zorg je eerst voor een nieuwe andere boot en verlaat dan snel het zinkende schip #missiegeslaagd #schandaligSeptember 29, 2022
13. A text to Patrick Lefevere from Dave Brailsford sparked some wild Remco transfer rumours, and this parody might have even tricked a few people...
Remco Evenepoel🤝 INEOS GrenadiersWe're thrilled to announce that @EvenepoelRemco will join the team from 2023.Welcome to the Grenadiers, Remco 👋 pic.twitter.com/xJGnpi0PXdSeptember 30, 2022
14. Patrick Lefevere was on hand to quash those rumours, however. What a fun business dinner this looks like!
A post shared by Patrick Lefevere (@patricklefevere) (opens in new tab)
A photo posted by on
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1