It doesn’t matter whether you are a seasoned WorldTour pro or a Sunday sportive rider; we all need to stay fuelled when out on the bike for a long ride.
Getting the recommended 30-60 grams of carbohydrates can be easy even if you just dip your toe into a crowded sports nutrition market packed full of energy drinks, gels and bars.
However there is nothing stopping you getting a little creative in the kitchen and cooking up your own tasty on bike treats. It is not only easy to do, but it will also save you money that would have otherwise been shelled out on the aforementioned energy products.
- 200g white rice (jasmine, Calrose or any sushi variety)
- 375ml water
- 150g feta cheese chopped into 1/2in cubes
- Six sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 handful of chopped spinach
1. Combine rice, water and salt in a large saucepan (or rice cooker).
2. Cover then heat until water boils.
3. Turn to lowest heat and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and leave covered for 10 minutes.
5. Mix feta, tomatoes and spinach into cooked rice.
6. Line a small bowl (approx 3in diameter) with cling film.
7. Spoon rice mix into bowls, gather excess cling film over the top and press down to form a bowl-shaped rice ball.
8. Carefully unwrap and place on lined baking tray.
9. Repeat for rest of rice mix.
10. Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes.
- 126 kcalories
- 20g carbohydrates
- 4g protein
- 5g fat
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Paul Knott is a fitness and features writer, who has also presented Cycling Weekly videos as well as contributing to the print magazine as well as online articles. In 2020 he published his first book, The Official Tour de France Road Cycling Training Guide (Welbeck), a guide designed to help readers improve their cycling performance via cherrypicking from the strategies adopted by the pros.
Black Friday bike deals 2022: we've handpicked the best discounts from across the web
Our Black Friday page brings you the best deals to be found across GPS units and watches, shoes, clothing and much more!
By Anna Marie Hughes • Published
Top picks from Sigma Sports' early Black Friday sale: Giro, Specialized, Cannondale and more
Big savings on complete bikes, cycling clothing, training tech and accessories
By Luke Friend • Published