Double Olympic champion Laura Trott thrilled the crowds on The Mall this evening as she sprinted to win the inaugural Prudential RideLondon Grand Prix.

Trott (Wiggle-Honda) timed her sprint to perfection to beat current National Circuit Race Champion Hannah Barnes (MG-Maxifuel) in a repeat of their controversial clash at the IG London Nocturne in June.

However, this duel was was much easier to call, as Trott comfortably crossed the line first, even though Barnes visibly closed in on her in the final 50 metres. Specialized-Lululemon’s Loren Rowney took third.

Speaking about her victory, Trott said: “It’s absolutely amazing. I’ve been working so hard for this event; I felt like it was my event as I’m an ambassador for for Prudential.

“I was so motivated to do a good job. It was a year to this day that we qualified for the final [in the team pursuit at London 2012], so to be out here with Dani [King] and Jo [Rowsell] was amazing.

“Dani’s lead-out was fantastic. I couldn’t have asked for anything more.I knew the minute she hit the front I knew nobody would get around me – it was hard enough for me to do so. I can’t think her enough.”

Trott then told Cycling Weekly that she was off to a “pasta party” after the race, as she prepares to ride a quarter of the RideLondon 100 mass-participation event tomorrow.

Not such good news for Wiggle was that Joanna Rowsell crashed on the last lap and was taken to hospital. A member of the team’s staff told CW that the British time trial champion is believed to have broken her collarbone in the fall.

“It really hurts me. She doesn’t even actually like the road that much so that’s sad. She’s such a great racer,” Trott said of her team-mate.

Despite missing out on the victory, 20-year-old Barnes admitted she was pleased to finish on the podium, saying:”Second’s the first loser, isn’t it? No, no, I’m delighted with it, considering the people in the race. Everybody thought I’d come second anyway, and it was a bit messy at the finish, I got a bit boxed in.

“I’m just enjoying my racing at the miite anyway, it’s been so good. You know when you’re doing well. I loved it- in the middle of London.”

Rowney was equally as diplomatic, and was happy to finish third given that her and British team-mate Katie Colclough were outnumbered by both Trott and Barnes’s teams.

“I would have like to have won, but Wiggle were so organised, and I had just one other team-mate. Third is great, but you always want to come away with the win,” she said. 

The women’s podium

Prudential RideLondon 2013: Women’s Grand Prix
1. Laura Trott (Wiggle-Honda)

2. Hannah Barnes (MG-Maxifuel)
3. Loren Rowney (Specialized-Lululemon)

Related links

Gerald Ciolek predicts sprint finish in inaugural Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic
How the Prudential RideLondon went from bold idea to reality

RideLondon-Surrey Classic provisional start list
WorldTour teams for RideLondon-Surrey Classic
Sam Harrison aiming to make impression at RideLondon-Surrey Classic
Peter Sagan to start RideLondon-Surrey race
Prudential RideLondon details announced
50,000 register for RideLondon cycle challenge


  • VAB

    White Rose, no I’m not the nutter who jumped over the barriers, i doubt I could get my leg that high :-),but I certainly agree with you on that point. I think a lot of people felt frustrated at the lack of direction etc.
    Marshalls on the whole do a good job and do it for the love of the sport.
    If you look at Motorsport tracks, marshalls are strategically placed at danger points with medical equipment and fully qualified staff, again, unpaid volunteers. If there is a crash, the decision to stop a race is very quick and carried out in moments. Ambulances are again placed around the circuit and are on scene, again in moments.
    I don’t know why this model of support isn’t adopted at high profile cycling events like this. Accidents, certainly do happen all the time in bike racing, the point I was trying to make, was the lack of direction at the incident and the incredible long time to get qualified medical staff to the scene.

  • White Rose

    VAB, I couldn’t agree more about your comments about the marshalls and their whistles. I do hope you weren’t the nutter how took things into their own hands and climbed over the barriers to flap their arms at the riders, as whoever that was actually caused more problems, the riders were shouting at him! More training for marshalls is definitely needed but let’s not forget a lot of us give up an awful lot of time help to run races and we don’t get paid for it. All the marshalls I know are happy to do things right but when you are new at any job you need help and advice.
    Incidentally that corner could possibly have been made wider but all the riders had been round it a few times previously. Accidents happen in bike races, especially in the finale.

  • stepho

    If it was as bad as you said, VAB, then I hope that you address your criticisms to the organisers as we have a lot to learn very quickly about many aspects of events like this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Jo.

  • VAB

    Having seen the unfortunate crash involving Jo at this evenings race, I would just like to make a very strong complaint against the organisers.

    The corner at which Jo’s crash happened, was a 90 degree bend, which narrowed at the end of a long straight with a strong tailwind. This should have been noted during the risk assessment process as being a potential crash site.

    It took circa 10 mins for cycling first aiders to arrive, then a few minutes later for the converted medical Golf carts to arrive. Finally, after about 12-15 mins an ambulance with paramedics arrived!

    Initially the marshalls seemed like frightened rabbits, and did not take control of the situation, not attending to the injured riders or making the crash site safe. I saw something this evening that I have never seen before, the crowds were having to verbally remonstrate with the poorly trained Marshalls to do something.

    However, the main questions that need to be addressed are the following:

    Why was there no medical staff at this dangerous corner?
    Why did it take so long to get proper medical staff to the site on a 1.3 mile circuit?
    What level of training do these marshalls actually get?

    Marshalls at these events seem to be very eager at blowing there whistles but the shocking display I saw this evening must surely question there effectiveness in emergency situations.

    I do hope that the organisers in general and the marshalls at this corner are taken to task, because if one of these poor riders received a bad head injury, we could have been looking at a fatality.