By Jonny Long
Calum Brown (Cycles In Motion) won the Catford Hill Climb Classic 2019 title, beating Jack O'brien (Rapha Cycling Club) by 5.3 seconds in the 'oldest continuing cycle race in the world'.
He recently also won the Monsal Hill Climb 2019, successfully defending his title, while Olivia Webb (Eastbourne Rovers CC) was the fastest finishing woman, the female veteran completing the course in 3-01.3.
Brown's time of 1-49 was just shy of the 1-47.6 record, set in 1983 by Phil Mason (San Fairy Ann CC), with his club offering up a £250 prize to the rider who eventually beats it. Although he didn't beat the record, Brown still walks away with the £300 prize for coming first.
Bill Bell (Bigfoot CC) was the fastest finishing male veteran, 1-17.8 slower than Brown, while Amy Marks (Team LDN) was the fastest female senior, and Alice Gilmore and Theo Tadros (trainSharp) the highest-placed female and male juniors.
The Catford Hill Climb is 707 yards long, with an average gradient of 12.5% including two sections that reach 25%.
The first edition of the Catford Hill Climb Classic was in 1886, and with the exclusion of the war years has been run annually up to the present day.
Catford Hill Climb 2019: 707 yards at 12.5%
1. Calum Brown (Cycles In Motion) Male Senior, in 1-49
2. Jack O’brien (Rapha Cycling Club) MS, at 5.3 seconds
3. Craig Rogers (Cambridge University CC) Male Espoir, at 5.4s
4. Ewan Tuohy (Dartford Road Club) MS, at 6s
5. James Hayward (Woolwich CC) MS, at 6.3s
6. James Lowden (Lewes Wanderers CC) MS, at 10.7s
7. Tom Rowing (Abellio – SFA Racing Team) MS, at 11.8s
8. Harvey Weinberger (AS Test Team) ME, at 12.5s
9. Mark Aldred (Kingston Wheelers CC) MS, at 13.6s
10. Theo Tadros (trainSharp) Male Junior, at 14.9s
16. Bill Bell (Bigfoot CC) Male Vet, at 1-17.8
100. Olivia Webb (Eastbourne Rovers CC) Female Vet, at 102.3
102. Haddi Conant (Datalynx-Parenesis Cycling) Female Espoir, at 102.9
115. Amy Marks (Team LDN) Female Senior, at 116.6
121. Alice Gilmore (Brighton Mitre CC) Female Junior, at 1-52.4
Mikel Landa suffered multiple fractures in Giro d’Italia crash, team confirms
The Bahrain Victorious rider looked in great form before he crashed out of the race on day five
By Alex Ballinger •
Nacer Bouhanni banned for two months after sprinting incident involving Jake Stewart
The sprinter shoved Stewart in the final of a French one-day race earlier this year
By Alex Ballinger •
Hayley Simmonds and Ed Laverack take record-breaking victories at National Hill Climb Championship
Both riders took victory for the first time in the Hill Climb Champs, held on Haytor in Devon
By Snowdon Sports •
Hill Climb National Championships moved with one month’s notice
The Hill Climb National Championships, one of the jewels in the crown of the domestic racing calendar, have been moved with just one month’s notice.
By Vern Pitt •
Adam Kenway and Rebecca Goodson win 2017 Monsal Hill-climb titles (photos)
National hill-climb champion Adam Kenway retained his Monsal hill-climb title as Rebecca Goodson topped the women's results
By Nigel Wynn •
How a bike made from parts bought on eBay won the National Hill-Climb Championships
New hill-climb champion Lou Bates won on a bike made up of parts from the auction site eBay
By Jack Elton-Walters •