Italian Manuel Senni takes the race's first yellow jersey
The two-time team time trial world champions produced an excellent performance on the hilly 37.9km course in eastern Spain, starting on the Mediterranean coast to the east of the city of Murcia, and finishing in Orihuela.
With no time checks along the course, it was difficult to track teams’ progress through the stage, but BMC looked smooth throughout, with only one rider dropping off the back towards the very end of the stage.
However’s Quick-Step’s time of 44-06 was comfortable beaten by BMC Racing, who stopped the clock at 43-17.
Led across the line by Polish rider Lukasz Wisniowski, Sky finished 21 seconds in arrears.
Tomorrow’s stage sees the riders tackle a rolling course finishing in Denia, with a third category climb close to the end of the stage.
However the overall race is likely to be decided on Saturday’s stage four, which features the only summit finish of the race.
Volta a la Comunitat de la Valenciana 2017, stage one: Orihuela to Orihuela, 37.9km
1. BMC Racing (USA), in 43-17
2. Team Sky (GBR), at 21 secs
3. Quick-Step Floors (BEL), at 49 secs
4. Movistar (ESP), at 1-02
5. Team LottoNL-Jumbo (NED), at 1-13
6. Astana (KAZ), at 1-16
7. FDJ (FRA), at 1-30
8. Katusha-Alpecin (SUI), at 1-52
9. Cannondale-Drapac (USA), at 1-58
10. Orica-Scott (AUS), at 2-00
General classification after stage one
1. Manuel Senni (ITA) BMC Racing, in 43-17
2. Michael Schar (SUI) BMC Racing
3. Greg Van Avermaet (BEL) BMC Racing
4. Nicolas Roche (IRL) BMC Racing
5. Stefan Küng (SUI) BMC Racing
6. Ben Hermans (BEL) BMC Racing, all same time
7. Lukasz Wisniowski (POL) Team Sky, at 21 secs
8. Philip Deignan (IRL) Team Sky
9. Michal Kwiatkowski (POL) Team Sky
10. Wout Poels (NED) Team Sky, all same time