Fuelling on the bike can be a monotonous task, this is mainly down to the same old artificial ingredients being used and the resulting tedious tastes that come from manufactured gels and drinks.
>> Struggling to get to the shops? Try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
However if you are looking for something a little different, these fig and pistachio rice sandwiches are not only a tasty and nutritious fuelling source, but are also really easy to make.
■ 200g white rice (jasmine, Calrose or any sushi variety)
■ 375ml of water
■ 150g finely chopped figs
■ 50g ground pistachios
■ One tablespoon raw sugar
■ One tablespoon of lemon juice
■ Pinch of salt
1. Combine rice, water and salt in a large saucepan (or rice cooker).
2. Cover then heat until water boils.
3. Turn to lowest heat and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and leave covered for 10 minutes.
5. Remove cover, stir in sugar and lemon juice.
6. Transfer half of mixture to a lined nine-inch baking pan and pat down firmly with rice paddle/spatula.
7. Cover with a layer of chopped figs and ground pistachios.
8. Press remainder of rice on top.
9. Leave to cool then cut into squares.