The 55-year-old man collapsed on the lower slopes of Leith Hill and died at the scene.

A 55-year-old man taking part in Sunday’s Prudential RideLondon 100 sportive collapsed and died during the event, organisers have confirmed.

The participant collapsed on the lower part of Leith Hill, the highest hill in Surrey, yesterday morning. Despite receiving what organisers have described as “immediate medical attention and an air ambulance attended”, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Participants were stopped on the climb for nearly an hour following the incident, before a diversion was put in place shortly after.

A statement from the London & Surrey Cycling Partnership organisational team, a joint venture between London Marathon Limited and SweetSpot, continued: “Our immediate concern is for the family of the deceased and no further details will be released at this time. We would like to express our sincere condolences to his family and friends.”

This is the second fatality in as many years in the event: 36-year-old Kris Cook suffered a cardiac arrest at Newlands Corner in the 2014 edition.

Donations to his JustGiving fundraising page subsequently reached £50,000, 10,000 per cent about his original target.

  • Abraham Lincoln

    thanks for the reply

  • Aaron Baker

    @nicolatait:disqus Hi Nicola, I knew Stephen well and would like to pass on your message to his family. Could you please contact me through with your contact details and I will forward to his wife? Well done to you and your team for your achievement. My thoughts are with you also.

  • Andy M.

    Hard to believe this comment. Initial frustration with the slowing and bunching up behind (before any word got back about the emergency) was quickly muted when it was clear there was a problem up ahead. Marshalls were excellent at moving everybody onto the left to clear one lane for the paramedics and must have created the diversion behind us pretty quickly. I walked by at the time and he had several people attending to him including riders who presumeably were medics themselves. A very sad bit of news.

  • J1

    Are you serious? A man died.

  • Nicola Tait

    I rode in my partners memory (Kris Cook) yesterday and completed safely with my team of 18. I am deeply saddened to read the same story this morning for another Ride100 cyclist. My thoughts are with the family and friends of this man and if the family would like to contact me they can. Nicola Tait

  • Tim Decker

    Think about it this for a moment. The most important thing is that people try and save a life, not that others are slightly inconvenienced. Finding and putting in place a diversion within an hour, whilst someone is dying is quite impressive.

  • Kat Lee

    They used the Leith Hill diversion for subsequent riders, I think it was only stopped for those who had already passed the diversion. I was one of those passing just as this man was receiving CPR and it was incredible dangerous to be on the hill at the time – people were crashing into each other as we all slowed and eventually all walked up the hill. My sympathies to the family, incredibly sad.

  • Abraham L.

    Not much informative. Very sad, but in any case I don’t quite get why “Participants were stopped on the climb for nearly an hour following the incident”. Why to make people cool down in the middle of the ride like this? Couldn’t they find any quick arrangement to accommodate with the situation?