Wiggle-Honda team enjoys one-two in women's Tour of Flanders as Elisa Longo Borghini takes a solo victory. Lizzie Armitstead eighth
Italian Elisa Longo Borghini (Wiggle-Honda) won the women’s Tour of Flanders in Belgium on Sunday after a solo attack in the race’s finale.
Belgian champion Jolien D’Hoore made it a memorable one-two for Wiggle-Honda in the third round of the UCI Women’s World Cup by placing second ahead of Anna van der Breggen (Rabo-Liv) in third.
British hope Lizzie Armitstead (Boels-Dolman) placed eighth having apparently broken her cleat in the finale and having been heavily marked during the race after her victory in the previous World Cup round, the Trofeo Alfredo Binda.
The riders took on the 10 climbs and cobbles of the 145-kilometre race – which is widely touted as one of the toughest on the calendar.
Winner of the opening round, D’Hoore takes over from Armitstead as the leader of the women’s World Cup standings.
The next round of the UCI Women’s World Cup will be the La Flèche Wallonne Féminine on April 22.
Women’s Tour of Flanders 2015
1. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle-Honda
2. Jolien D’Hoore (Bel) Wiggle-Honda at 43 secs
3. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv
4. Annemiek van Vleuten (Bigla)
5. Elena Cecchini (Ita) Lotto-Soudal
6. Alena Amialiusik (Blr) Velocio-SRAM
7. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot (Fra) Rabo-Liv at same time
8. Lizzie Armitstead (GBr) Boels-Dolmans at 45 secs
9. Chantal Blaak (Ned) Boels-Dolmans at 47 secs
10. Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) Bigla at same time