The UCI says that it expects an initial agreement on extreme weather protocols to be in place ahead of the 2015 Giro d’Italia after riders, teams and organisers agreed that an action plan was needed to protect riders in extreme weather conditions.
The decision was made in a preliminary meeting in Milan held on Friday, with cycling’s governing body saying they will meet again in the near future to thrash out the details of the new plan.
“The group considers the safety and the health of riders as an absolute priority,” the UCI said in a statement.
“The members will convene again in the coming weeks to establish a baseline for the weather criteria (rain, snow, wind, temperature, humidity and visibility) that can be used to determine if a modification is required in the running of a race.”
The meeting over extreme weather was seemingly prompted by the rider protest held earlier this year at stage five of the Tour of Oman, which saw temperatures reach 40°C and sandstorms kick-up in the 70km/h winds. There were also complaints, most notably from Fabian Cancellara, after organisers continued to finish stage five of the Tirreno-Adriatico atop the Terminillo in blizzard like conditions.
The recently retired David Millar confirmed last week that he was approached by the CPA (Cyclistes Professionnels Associés) to be its representative in the meetings, while members of the AIGCP (Association International des Groupes Cyclistes Professionels) and the AIOCC (Association Internationale des Organisateurs de Courses Cyclistes) were also present.
The Giro begins on May 9, when some form of an agreement is expected to be in place.