Sacrificing energy stores during a morning ride because of the unsatisfying taste or texture of a product is not a wise move.
Despite perhaps not being the most appetising experiences during the early hours of the day, there are alternative ways to maintain your fuel stores.
>> Struggling to get to the shops? Try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
These rice cakes are the perfect choice if you are looking for a traditional morning taste without sacrificing quality or accessibility to a good source of carbohydrates.
- 200g white rice (jasmine, calrose or any sushi variety)
- 375ml water
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
1. Combine rice, water and salt in a large saucepan (or rice cooker).
2. Cover then heat until water boils.
3. Turn to lowest heat and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and leave covered for 10 minutes.
5. While rice is cooking, slice up bacon into small squares, fry until crisp and leave to drain on kitchen paper.
6. Scramble eggs in small non-stick pan.
7. When rice is cooked, stir in bacon, eggs, soy sauce and seasoning.
8. Transfer mixture to a lined nine inch baking pan and pat down firmly with rice paddle/spatula.
9. Leave to cool for 30 minutes, cut into squares and refrigerate.
- 125 kcalories
- 18g carbohydrates
- 4.5g protein
- 4g fat