Cyclists and Twitter is often a fantastic combination, allowing the fans a behind the scenes look at what goes on in the professional peloton. Here are some of the tweets that caught our eye this week, including ones from Mark Cavendish, Allan Davis and Simon Gerrans.
1. Strava legend and professional cyclist Laurens Ten Dam gave us an insight into the dietry requirements of the Lotto-Jumbo NL team, with peanut butter being the staple. Given their bumblebee inspired kit it’s surprising they’re not eating more honey…
>> Subscribe to Cycling Weekly this Autumn and save 35%. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
2. Management team to the stars of cycling (and other sports) M2 Sports Management put the Premier League’s £5bn TV deal into perspective.
3. Simon Gerrans received some helpful advice when he got to South Africa. Advice that he should heed, according to Chris Froome’s picture below.
4. Roger Hammond likes to bribe his Madison Genesis riders with coffee on long rides in the Mallorcan hills.
5. Oh no, Alex Dowsett. Did you not learn from the last time you rode with Mark Cavendish? Riding with Mark Cavendish will leave you with a broken collarbone! Bet it was those pesky geese that caused the trouble last time.
6. Ian Bibby lowers the tone a bit.
7. It’s not a good sign when riders are this tired just a month into the season. Jasper Stuyven will remember to rub his sun cream in next time.
8. In a funny half-hour, David Millar dips his toe into popular celebrity culture, and then almost instantly regrets it.
9. The lack of team buses at the Tour of Qatar means the riders and staff have to slum it in quite nice estate cars. They don’t provide the most comfortable sleeping positions, though, as Luke Rowe shows.
10. Allan Davis, like a lot of Australians, has set up home in San Sebastian. The twang of Aussie accents around the Basque city is not enough to make Davis feel like he’s at home, so the discovery of Bundaberg rum is just the tonic. Literally.