Dominic Klemme gave the new Luxembourg-based Leopard-Trek squad its first victory, soloing to win the GP Samyn in Belgium on Wednesday.
Klemme took the initiative after chasing down and passing escapee Kevyn Ista (Cofidis). Ista finished second, eight seconds behind the 24-year-old German. Robert Wagner gave Leopard-Trek a second podium spot by bringing home the chasers for third.
Britain's top finisher was Adam Blythe (Omega Pharma-Lotto) in 36th, 3-36 down on Klemme.
The UCI 1.1-ranked GP Samyn was first run in 1968, and recent winners include Magnus Backstedt (2002), Robbie McEwen (2004), Philippe Gilbert (2008), Wouter Weylandt (2009) and Jens Keukeleire (2010).
Leopard-Trek was formed in part by Klemme's former Saxo Bank team-mates Frank and Andy Schleck, who led an exodus from Saxo Bank that also included time trial world champion Fabian Cancellara and Stuart O'Grady. Up until Klemme's victory, Leopard-Trek have been without a win in its inaugural season.
GP Samyn 2011: 193.1km
1. Dominic Klemme (Ger) Leopard-Trek in 4-43-44
2. Kevin Ista (Bel) Cofidis at 8 secs
3. Robert Wagner (Ger) Leopard-Trek at 9 secs
4. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (Bel) Quickstep
5. Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Francaise des Jeux
6. Lloyd Mondory (Fra) Ag2r at same time
7. Jimmy Casper (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 11 secs
8. Sebastien Chavanel (Fra) Europcar
9. Adrien Petit (Fra) Cofidis at same time
10. Aleksejs Saramotins (Lat) Cofidis at 12 secs
36. Adam Blythe (GB) Omega Pharma-Lotto at 3-36
102. James Spragg (GB) Donckers Koffie at 3-36
Dominic Klemme wins GP Samyn
Leopard-Trek sign up for 2011 Tour of Britain
Team Leopard's backer, Flavio Becca
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1