Burgeoning fast-man Caleb Ewan has not underestimated his competition at the Tour Down Under despite the noted absence of ‘big name’ internationals at this year’s race.
Ewan fronted the media at a pre-race press conference on Saturday as the sprinter to beat with heavyweights André Greipel (Lotto-Soudal) and Marcel Kittel (Etixx-QuickStep) opting to start their respective seasons later abroad.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
“We don’t have the top three or four sprinters in the world here but there are still guys that are really quick so it’s not going to be easy to win a stage,” said Ewan.
The 21-year-old identified Wouter Wippert (Cannondale) and Steele von Hoff, who is racing with the UniSA Australia composite outfit instead of his trade One Pro Cycling team, as chief rivals, pointing to their respective stage victories at last year’s event.
Ewan (Orica-GreenEdge) was prominent at a domestic criterium series in Victoria, Australia earlier this month and will have a chance to make his first impression in Adelaide at the prelude People’s Choice Classic criterium, which Kittel won last season, on Sunday. He claimed 11 victories, including a stage of the Vuelta a Espana, as a rookie pro in 2015.
“I think there’s a few stages that should suit me but the main goal for the team will be going for GC so I’ll need to fit my plans around that,” Ewan said.
“I think if there’s a stage I’m feeling good for and the team want to support me they will.”
Tour Down Under race director Mike Turtur on Saturday fielded questions about the start list for this year’s event, which includes a bevy of Australian talent but less international headline acts.
The race has previously hosted Alberto Contador, Alejandro Valverde, Mark Cavendish, Philippe Gilbert and the now disgraced Lance Armstrong.
“As organisers we’re extremely happy with the start list,” Turtur said.
Watch: Tour Down Under 2016 preview (video)
“If any organiser throughout the world had our start list they’d be pretty happy. The decision of riders and teams to send riders wherever they go is their decision, all we can do is put on a quality race and make the conditions as best we can.”
Armstrong was paid to make appearances from 2009-2011 when he competed, however, Turtur intimated such fees were not necessary to the ongoing success of the event.
“We’re a WorldTour race so we operate under that umbrella,” he continued when asked about offering additional incentive to attract top international talent. “Other events are a bit free in the market that allow them to do certain deals. Until that changes I guess things will remain.”