De Buyst and Vergaerde took victory in the first Madison and the super sprint to move into overall lead
Having lead for the opening two days of the 75th edition of the Ghent Six-Day, Etixx-QuickStep pairing Iljo Keisse and Michael Mørkøv saw their claim on the overall lead slip out of their grasp, as they finished the third day a lap down on Lotto-Soudal duo Jasper De Buyst and Otto Vergaerde.
Keisse and Mørkøv continued to impress throughout the night though, taking a win in the team elimination, as well as placing in the 500m and 166m time trials, both Madisons, and the first super sprint and derny races.
The pair amassed more points than any other team with 228, but couldn’t hold on to the lead as they lost a lap to Belgian duo De Buyst and Vergaerde, who secured wins in the first Madison race and in the final super sprint of the evening.
All the top four teams in the general classification were awarded a bonus lap for reaching 200 points, meaning the teams from six down now sit seven or more laps down on the leaders, with last place Benjamin Thomas and Tristan Marguet 24 laps down.
Britain’s Chris Lawless and his teammate Roy Pieters currently reside in ninth place, 20 laps down. Though there was some consolation for Team Wiggins man Lawless, after he took victory in the keirin event in the latter part of day three.
Ghent Six-Day 2015 – Classification after day three:
1. Jasper De Buyst/Otto Vergaerde (Lotto) – 215 points
2. Iljo Keisse/Michael Mørkøv (Etixx-QuickStep) – 228 points + 1 lap
3. Gijs Van Hoecke/Kenny De Ketele (Baloise Insurance) – 219 points + 1 lap
4. Moreno De Pauw/Morgan Kneisky (Provincie OOst-Vlaanderen) – 204 points + 2 laps
5. Marc Hester/Alex Rasmussen (John Saey–Lecot-Raedschelders) – 129 points + 2 laps
6. Jesper Mørkøv/Nick Stöpler (Caruur) – 60 points + 7 laps
7. Melvin van Zijl/Yoeri Havik (3M) – 83 points + 8 laps
8. Christian Grasmann/Marcel Kalz (Primus Haacht) – 65 points + 8 laps
9. Christopher Lawless/Roy Pieters (Vanreusel Snacks) – 40 points + 20 laps
10. Stijn Steels/Andreas Muller (Team Topsport Vlaanderen) – 22 points + 21 laps