The sun is shining on the Giro d'Italia rest day and the riders are enjoying leisurely coffee rides and a day of not doing very much
It’s been seven days since the riders at the Giro d’Italia last had a decent rest, and even then they had to get up at 6am and fly to southern Italy from the Netherlands.
This time, though, the teams are settled in Italy and the riders were able to go out for a leisurely spin, a few espressos and a leisurely lunch back at the hotel.
1. The Trek-Segafredo social media person stayed a safe distance back as the riders pootled out of the hotel.
2. Team Sky also went out for a short trundle ahead of Tuesday’s mountainous stage 10.
3. Andre Greipel and his Lotto-Soudal teammates found a pretty impressive cathedral on their coffee ride.
4. Etixx-Quick Step headed out, but Bob Jungels seemed to have lost his white jersey…
5. Riding on the road wasn’t enough for 2012 champion Ryder Hesjedal, with the Canadian having a go on the turbo as well.
6. It’s not much of a rest day for the mechanics, though, with the Trek guys washing all the team cars and the bikes.
7. Moto GP rider Cal Crutchlow swapped his motor bike for a motorless bike (we assume) and went out for a ride with BMC’s Manuel Quinziato.
8. And Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) was wondering why the weather couldn’t have been this sunny on Sunday’s time trial, where he fell off multiple times in the wet.